E.L.F. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder Review

June 29, 2015


I follow a lot of makeup artists, bloggers, celebrities, and random beauty accounts on Instagram, and I noticed how most of them go overboard when it comes contouring. Originally intended for on-stage performances, I can say intense contouring has definitely gone mainstream.

To be honest, I don't think the intense contouring trend will ever be for me. For one, my skin tends to flake when rubbed immensely. Plus, I live in a tropical country. So just imagine how heavy and uncomfortable it would feel if I hit the streets wearing Kim Kardashian's face.

On the other hand, I plead guilty to being a big fan of subtle contouring. I have a round/ovalish face. So yeah, a little contouring here and there definitely adds dimension to my face.

I have been using Guerlain Terracotta as my bronzer since 2014, and it works magic for me. Earlier this month, I tried looking for a more affordable bronzer to try. And luckily, while browsing for products at SM Department store, I checked the aisle of E.L.F. cosmetics and found a blush and bronzer powder duo priced at Php 249.75! It's available in 3 shades (see below). I ended up getting St. Lucia.

For the packaging, I can't help but compare it to NARS. It features a big mirror, which I find particularly handy. The only difference I noticed is that the NARS packaging comes in a velvety matte finish.

NARS packaging (source)

ELF Blush and Bronzing Powder in St. Lucia (source)

For the product itself, I find the quality to be annoyingly chalky. I also observed that it crumbles easily. But for what it's worth, I'm willing to overlook these observations.

For the color pay off, both the blusher and the bronzer are impressive. The colors are really pigmented, which means a little goes an incredibly long way.


I applied the bronzer to the hollows of my cheeks extending it to the sides of my forehead using my Happy Skin angled blush brush. For the blusher, I dusted it lightly on my cheeks using the same tool. Not only did I tap the brush  several times prior to applying, I also dusted some of the products off on a piece of tissue paper to make sure I don't apply to much.


The biggest problem I encountered is the bronzer's blending rebellion. This is definitely not the type of product wherein you can easily blend the colors out to make it appear softer. You really have to be careful when using this product as you cannot diminish dark blotches by simply blending/stippling over the area. The key to using this product effectively is by using it sparingly using subtle and careful strokes.


I like how the blush adds a flush of color to my cheeks and at the same time provides a fresh shimmery glow. For the bronzer, I appreciate how it was able to really contour my cheekbones.

finished look

If you're looking for an affordable blusher/bronzer combo, this is actually a pretty decent product to try. This is a great product if you're after something highly pigmented and long-lasting. The E.L.F. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder duo stayed on my face the whole, hooray! But overall, I don't think I'll repurchase it nor add it to my usual routine. It's just that I prefer blushers/bronzers with a silkier finish. Nothing personal, St. Lucia.

Any beauty product you want me to test? Feel free to comment below! ☺︎


- - - - - - - -
Product: E.L.F. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder
Price: Php 249.75
Where to buy: SM Dept. Store/Watson's

0 comments